Thursday, May 22, 2014

The '90s: Iron Man Sample

 
 This is the last of what I consider my early attempts at drawing comics. I know I mailed off more samples then this and I also filled several sketchbooks, but this good sampling of where my skills were in the early days. Most of that stuff has been trashed long ago and rightly so. Despite the poor quality of the art, it was the best I could do at the time and since this is a history of my journey, I think it's important to show where I started.
 
I tended to lump all this early stuff together and so the actual order might be a little different
 
I don't know where I came up with this plot, but I thought it was kinda funny to imagine Tony Stark sitting around watching TV and seeing Namor tearing up Manhattan. I remember I mailed this off and I got good response. Back in those days I'd send off about 50 packets and I'd get back about 10-15 response letters. It was expensive to send out samples, but I think you got a lot better response when you mailed in art.
 
Also, there was something exciting about coming home to find a response letter or two in your mailbox. I never got hired from any of that, but the responses I got were encouraging. Maybe they were just being nice, but it was enough to keep me working.

No comments:

Post a Comment